Saturday, December 15, 2007

I have a question

Am I the only foul-mouthed woman who makes stuff? REALLY? I read lots of craft blogs, and everything's usually so fucking pristine and sweet that I'd be mortified to leave a comment that said "hello, this is beautiful, thank you for the free pattern" only to have these sweet little dumplings of twenty-something ladies to come here and cry or something. The marzipan from which they're apparently made from would be all disolve-ed.

I guess I could be called a crafter, I dunno, that's kind of a dumb term in my high and mighty fucking opinion. I prefer "bad-ass of fussy detailed art stuff". Or "rocker of modpodge and tiewire and torn bits of stuff". "Crafter" is stupid, you can craft anything - an essay, a table leg, a dish, etc etc etc!!!
I mean, I sew, I knit, I crochet, I make clothes, I cook, I bake, I collage, I do decoupage (NO, REAL FUCKING DECOUPAGE, NOT GODDAMNED CLIP ART OF POSIES PASTED TO A STUPID CHAIR OR SOME WANK, REAL. FUCKING. ART. now that we're clear...), I do assemblage, I make dismembered doll sculptures with glitter and neato wire globes. I write a lot. I am a master of being overly verbose, which could be a craft, too.

So what do I do here? Keep doing my thing and hope I attract likeminded, dirty-foul-sailor-potty-mouthed ladies who make stuff and write about it?

And no, I don't think cussing is crass when used in a conversational tone. In a scholarly work, absolutely inappropriate. When talking to one's peers, hell yes. Words are just words, and some are inherently more passionate than others when spat or cried out.

I close with a Lenny Bruce quote, really one of my favorites ever:
"Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness..."
I wholeheartedly believe that. Completely and utterly.

Now off to paint my hair in blue chunks.

5 comments:

Moominmama said...

me and my best friend, bridget, both make lots of stuff and both swear like sailors. she even buys raw wool off her sister-in-law and spins it on a fucking spinning wheel in her OWN FUCKING LIVING ROOM! and yes, that's not just any living room, it is, indeed, the fucking living room. and she would agree with me on that. i don't have time for much crafting these days (about the only thing i've done in the last year is make 2 gallons of homemade blackberry gin), but one day i will, and when i do, i will cuss cheerfully. like Jack-o said, you are not alone.

INNER VOICES said...

ha! you and cheese would get along great!!! always welcome in my house, we get "crafty" all the time... so when you get back from getting "marred" swing by central cal. and we can toast a few. i'll use my beer cozy made from a deer scrotum!

Moominmama said...

inner voices: still? you gotta be kidding me! i call it "gin" because i go to the store, buy a big ol' fucking bottle of (good) gin, stop by the side of the road and pick a kilo of blackberries on the way back, pour half the bottle into an empty bottle (thus dividing it in two), top them both up with blackberries and suger, screw the caps back on, and stick 'em in a dark cupboard for a few months while the booze works its magic and pulls all the lovely juice out of the berries. then strain and drink. iz good. (oh, and you can put the strained berries, now known as "boozeberries" into you muffins. fucking great they are!)

INNER VOICES said...

AAHHHH... gotcha, you are basically infusing store bought gin with berries. nice. and i like the boozeberries ideas... i mistakingly thought that you might be one of those illict moonshiners. ahem, not that ive ever known any or seen any of those folks. like this guy here.
http://whatdothevoicesmean.blogspot.com/2006/11/going-to-fire-up-still-this-weekend.html
this guy must be crazy!
so thanks for the recipe!!! enjoy the holidayz!

21stCenturyMom said...

I have a little craft blog addiction myself. Do you watch Threadbangers? If not, you should.
I think the hosts and most of the people they interview swear pretty regularly. And they make some cool stuff.

Congrats on the marriage! I'll be looking for pics.