Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shoppin for small ladies

And I don't mean little folk.
My little sister (and by no means my youngest, that one is...3?) has a birthday coming up, her fifth. I was stymied about what to get her until a friend suggested over facebook that stickers were the way to go, or better yet a sticker book...because we've all seen the unfortunate family cars with the rear passenger windows COATED in peely, sticky paper backing of shapes of dinosaurs and butterflies and the like. I can't in good conscience inflict that on *anyone*, even my step mother and her *snicker* audi station wagon *snicker*. So sticker books it is.
And then I remembered the sticker books I had, that ended up mostly on my dresser as oppossed to the family car or in the sticker book. I had everything from dinos to astronauts to large smiling teeth (ikr?) and pretty glittery pixies. And then there was......LISA FRANK.



FTW.
This was THE thing to have back at my grade school, next to RL Stine books and YIKES! pencils (both of which I was the queen of, that and Babysitter's Club books). Yikes pencils were the bomb, you'd get a neon pencil that was a WHOLE DIFFERENT COLOR when you sharpened it and had zaaaaany erasers. It came very close to making cursive practice in 3rd grade interesting.
I was not the hugest Lisa Frank girl, there were far too many puppies and unicorns and shit like that for my taste, but they DID make neon dolphins jumping over rainbow stickers, so how could I refuse? That, and next to those light up LA Gear shoes, you could be no cooler in school than if you had those...until pogs... :( good god, what was wrong with my generation?
Anyhow, enjoy the trip, I read today that "flourescents are making a fashion comeback", let's just hope this time they leave the hypercolor t-shirts out of it!

1 comment:

Moominmama said...

Oh god i'm part of that generation. I LOVED Lisa Frank. And here's the sad part: i didn't know until I watched that video just now that all those products existed. I thought Lisa Frank only made folders and notebooks and other school stationery stuff. And now, NOW that I'm 30, I discover a whole new world of plastic Lisa Frank garbage that I never knew existed. I feel so deprived. *sniff*

And yes, I owned every single Babysitters Club book up to number 57, including the first 6 super-specials. Beat that.